After writing about Maurice Sendak and his work yesterday (You can read that editorial here), it inspired me to really think about what books I enjoy reading to my kids.
Oh, like my kids, I do have favorites… I also have the “opposite of favorite” books…
Am I the only parent who hides books they can’t stand to read again? Is that just me?
Anyway, here is my list of my 10 favorite books to read with my children:
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
- Go Dog Go by P. D. Eastman
- I’ll Teach My Dog 100 Words by Michael Frith and P. D. Eastman
- The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
- Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
- Richard Scarry’s Best Mother Goose Ever by Richard Scarry
- 10 Apples Up On Top by Theo LeSieg (Dr. Seuss)
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
So in many ways I am a traditionalist around this. Well, I guess a classic is a classic for a reason.
What do you think? Did I miss any?